We are fickle creatures. A week ago, I would have given just about anything for even just a half-day just to do whatever I wanted -- Read, watch TV, go shopping, clean my bathrooms!, etc...but now that I'm being forced to stay in bed indefinitely, I've come to the conclusion that it gets old really fast! I like being busy -- in fact, I thrive on it -- so having someone sternly tell me that I am to go home, get in bed and not move except for bathroom breaks and to eat a little something every few hours has been a challenge.
That's right. I'm on bedrest for at least two weeks.
On Monday at work all day I was feeling a bit off. Just feeling lousy; having pain and "tightness" that I couldn't explain, and when I got home I was just miserable. My weekly appointment to see my OB-GYN was the next morning -- so I decided to wait until then to see if she knew if I should be concerned. So far any aches and pains that I've brought up have been "normal", so I just figured I was feeling the effects of only having a few weeks left. I brought it up to her on Tuesday morning and she decided to hook me up to the monitor and make sure nothing was going on. Well, something was. I was actually having regular contractions about every 2-3 minutes. Some I could definitely feel, but I had no idea that I was having them that regularly. She sent me immediately to the hospital to continue monitoring and to receive IV fluids because dehydration can sometimes cause contractions. After being monitored for a few hours, they gave me a shot that was supposed to stop the contractions and the doctor decided to send me home on temporary bedrest and an oral drug to keep the contractions stopped. Wednesday, I could feel that I was having them again despite the medication and I was sent back to the hospital for more monitoring. They upped the dosage of the Terbutaline in shot form and watched to see if it would kick in. They seemed to be fairly well under control for the first part of the afternoon, but about 5 pm, just about the time they were going to send me home, I started having very regular and full minute contractions. The doctor decided that to be on the safe side they were going to give me a steroid shot (ouch, ouch, ouch!) that would help my little guy's lungs develop quicker, and to keep me overnight. What a miserable night. I don't know how they expect anyone to get better in the hospital when they are bugging you every five minutes! By the time morning came, I was exhausted and had gotten maybe an hour of sleep the entire night. The nurse told me that the doctor wanted me to stay the whole day and continue monitoring. Also the steroid shot is in two doses, so I needed another one about 6:30 pm. When the doctor came by a few hours later, I told her I would be SO much more comfortable at home and if she agreed to release me, I would obey any bedrest orders to the 'T.'
So, here I am. At home, in bed, and pretty bored. As long as nothing gets worse, I should just be home for the next week and I'll see her Wednesday to check things out again.
In the meantime, does anybody have any good suggestions for books to read, etc? I was trying to figure out what Luke could pick up for me at the library, but I'm a browser when I go, so having to come up with something without looking around was proving difficult.
I'm sure that some of you are envying my position of being able to be lazy...so I need some suggestions. If you could have a day to do anything -- well, anything that you can do laying/reclining -- what would you do?
July
8 years ago
8 comments:
sorry ahead of time - this comment could get lengthy :) First off, enjoy bed rest, even though it may sound like an oxymoron. It's way better than watching your baby in the nicu everyday for a month or two! Trust me - let him grow inside, way better!! Books - oh, where to start. If your feeling little kid fantasy like Harry Potter - try the Fablehaven series by brandon mull. He was a BYU divine comedy guy and this series is great - made NY Times best seller. His candy shop wars is pretty entertaining too. If you haven't read them yet - the hunger games (book 1) and cathching fire (book 2) were page turners for me. There unique, but I sure liked them! If your feeling religious I really enjoyed the infinite atonement. If you want, I'll mail if out to you :) Good luck - our prayers are with you!
Oh, bed rest. I haven't had to do it, but my sister-in-law did and she was miserable. It can be very frustrating.
Do you like Jane Austen type books or movies? I'd suggest "Wives and Daughters" and "Cranford." (There's even a "Return to Cranford" if you like the first one.) Also, "North and South." Both the books and movies are fabulous (and long).
Or maybe some old tv shows?! I find I need happier things to watch/read when I'm pregnant. Lately, I've been watching Dick Van Dyke. Hilarious.
Hope you don't have to stay in bed the entire remainder of your pregnancy. Take care! Drink your water. :)
I agree with Bill and Mel! Great movies! If you have netflix, you can get some of those on instant and watch them on your computer or tv if you have the right hookups. You can watch tv shows and movies there! I personally enjoy BBC movies and shows like Dr Who and Robin Hood! Their movies are excellent, especially the Regency Era movies! Other fantasy books, Goose Girl series and The Princess Acadamy, by Shannon Hale who is LDS. If you want uplifting, I hear Eat, Pray, Love is good along with Three Cups of Tea. I had to read Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour for school and really enjoyed it! If you liked the
Twilight series, there is a novella out called The Short
Second Life of Bree Tanner. Pretty good so far! And here is
a site that lists the 100 best books of all time. In case you
want to give yourself a challenge! I wish you luck!! It can be hard, but know in the end it's well worth it! At least you only have a week or two and not months of it! ;)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/08/books.booksnews
Oh, and Everybody Loves Raymond always makes me laugh and puts me in a good mood!
OHH Emily.. that is miserable!! But it makes it a little easier knowing that it's for your little guy!! Take care and hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time!!
Emily - I'm so sorry to hear that. Though I am a bit jealous... but I'm not sure how one would even do bedrest with a two-year-old. Oh well. Enjoy it for me. If you want a FANTASTIC, intellectual book get "Elegance of the Hedgehog." It's SO great. A little slow, but beautiful. The Mistborn trilogy (another fantasy... but VERY well thought-out and long for a long bedrest reader) by Brandon Sanderson (BYU professor) is very entertaining. Best of luck. Wish I was there to come hang once in awhile.
Oh dear! That's awful!! All the more reason the both of us shouldn't have moved--we could have come and visited! We played games with some new friends this week and it just made us miss you!
As for books, my new favorite is the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society. And have you read Hunger Games and the sequel (I'm sure you have!). If you are enjoying any pregnancy books, my VERY FAVORITE is the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. Absolutely hilarious and down to earth wisdom--I recommend it to everyone! I also love the book Letters for Emily, and recently finished 'The Memory Keepers Daughter' which was good, but a bit sad. As for TV, you can't miss the Cosby Show. I can mail them to you if you want!
Good luck! I wish we were there to visit and play games by your bedside!
Oh, I thought of one more thing--come up with an awesome computer project that you wouldn't ever have time for otherwise. I don't do bedrest when I'm pregnant (at least I haven't had to yet) but every afternoon I sit down on the couch, with my feet up and work on some computer project. With Josh I went through every single picture on my computer, organized them, deleted some, named them, edited them and got all organized. It took HOURS and HOURS, but I was so glad when it was done! Good luck!
Post a Comment